Re: More engine alternatives?

To: "jay pollmann" <thorfinnxx@hotmail.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: More engine alternatives?
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 20:17:35 -0800

> I've posted about an engine conversion before, and the possibilities are
> still gnawing at me....I have the chance to purchase a driveable but
> bent 86 RX7 really cheap, and the engine purrs like my cat before it
> goes into heat...I know people have seen this done, but are there any
> websites or books or French cave drawings with information about the
> transformation? How much hp/torque can a spitfire's back end handle?
> With the 146 Japanese ponies that the mazda brings, should I be thinking
> about putting in the rear end? The wheel base is really close to the
> same size...There are a ton of questions and as my car sits in peices
> around the house waiting to be painted and reassembled, I'm anxious to
> see if I really want to weld some new motor mounts on the frame...
>
> Thanks a ton....j
Jay-

I've got 3 words for you...Grass Roots Motorsport.
It's an enthusiasts magazine that is part way thru doing that exact
conversion. The highlites are: the rear end can't even begin to handle the
power, the frame has to be modified fairly heavily for the trans. and the
firewall is in for some major mods.
Since I own a second generation RX7 with lots-o-bells and whistles on it, I
can understand the attraction. The motor is different enough to be
interesting and it can be made to put out some serious power. The one
caveat I will mention is that once completed, the car has got to be driven
regularly. The big problem is in those nice smooth rotor housings. If
allowed to set for any length of time (sometimes a very short time
depending on weather conditions), a slight amount of rust will start and
when you crank the motor it will "peel" a rotor seal right off before you
can even get your finger off the starter button. (Now just how would I know
that ?) If you have ever noticed your brake rotors turning orange when you
haven't driven the car for a while, then this conversion is not for you.
The same goes for "junkyard" motors. Most places that have sold many rotary
motors, will not even put a "tail light" guarantee on the motor for this
reason.

The Car Curmudgeon
    Nick in Nor Cal