TR4 Engine Restoration

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 Engine Restoration
From: "William F Daehler"<WFDaehle@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:17:28 -0600

William F Daehler@DELCO on 12-17-97 02:17:28 PM

My engine came from a parts car, and it is now completely apart.  I held up
the crankshaft and had my photo taken as if it was a trophy fish, or a 12
point buck or something.

I inspected and noted the condition of all the parts as I turned about five
hundred nuts, bolts and studs counter clock wise, and put them into labeled
plastic zip lock bags.

Some observations:  The exhaust valve guides were in terrible condition.
Cylinder #1 valve was frozen in the open position.  I'm having all the
guides replaced at a machine shop. I bought the parts from Moss.   Yes
there was pronounced valve recession on the exhaust seats.  Cylinder #4
valve was recessed the worst. I'm having the hardened inserts installed for
the valve seats, upon recommendation of the shop owner.  He has been
rebuilding engines for 40 years.  The List had a lot of divided discussion
about this, in the end I had to make my own decision.

Crank shaft rear oil seal, the same story.  Half the list seems to
recommend the original, the other half says that the upgrade solves a
problem.  I had Moss look up sales volume, they said 'over a hundred a year
with no complaints'.  So I'm doing the upgrade.

Question for the list:  What can be done to improve the cosmetic appearance
of the block and the side of the head?  I'm having the block boiled out,
briefly.

Is painting concours acceptable?  Surface preparation? Color?  What is the
correct thing to do here, and in what order?  I would appreciate hearing
some opinions.

Will Daehler
Senior Project Engineer
Delco Electronics