Re: TR4 Engine Restoration

To: William F Daehler <WFDaehle@mail.delcoelect.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Engine Restoration
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:52:47 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, William F Daehler wrote:

> Question for the list:  What can be done to improve the cosmetic appearance
> of the block and the side of the head?  I'm having the block boiled out,
> briefly.
>
> Is painting concours acceptable?  Surface preparation? Color?  What is the
> correct thing to do here, and in what order?  I would appreciate hearing
> some opinions.

        A question to ask yourself... Is this going to be a show car...
        or am I going to drive this sucker? If you plan to go for concours
        by all means find the proper color and paint it that color... If
        you're planning a "driver" let me recommend painting the engine a
        light to medium shade of whatever you choose... (I painted mine a
        mid gray). I'm able to spot the leaks better this way (and trust
        me... it WILL leak).

        The pressed metal pieces (e/g. the timing chain cover, and bypass
        tube fo the heater I painted body color (I had paint left
        over when I first rebuilt it). Later I painted them black.
        For stock, clean and or paint EVERYTHING its proper color, get the
        Decals that the car came with... That will be plenty.

        Other cosmetics include an Aluminum valve cover, italian air horns
        (they sound so much nicer that the "Chebbie" horns that come with
        the car and look cool under the hood).

        ******************NOTE cosmetic stops at this point***************

        If you want to go radical... Hand make an aluminum air deflector
        for the front, install an oil cooler (of course having cause to
        install one i.e. hopping up this little gem would be nice) with
        braided steel lines is neat... Don't stop there, add electronic
        ignition, go out and get a set of Weber side drafts but do the
        job right install an electric fuel pump and appropriate braided
        steel plumbing... Then we've GOT to do something about the Brakes
        and handling...

        Do you all sense a bit of Shipwright's  Syndrome?!?

        Greg "AAAAAKKKKKHHHH" Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois