Re: tr6 radiator duct

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 radiator duct
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:54:05 -0800
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Peter Zaborski wrote:

> The TR6 came with a one piece radiator cowling (or duct) which is made
> of a black cardboard like material. I guess this material tends to go
> bad with repeated wet/dry cycles and probably rots away eventually.
> Although mine is not at this stage, it is kinda dirty and I really would
> like to replace it.
>
> I notice that VB has a replacement duct listed made of ABS and costing
> $65 US. This seems like a lot to pay so I am hoping to make my own. Not
> knowing anything about plastic fabrication I am looking for some hints
> on how to proceed.
>
> Specifically, I think that the "hinging" properties of the original
> paper duct should be retained to maintain the ability to remove the duct
> if required and to fine tune the final fit. Any ideas on how plastics
> can be hinged? I suspect I will be able to use a door hinge of some sort
> but perhaps there is a better solution? I suspect that "creasing" the
> plastic like the paper was creased would not produce the desired hinging
> effect but rather probably weaken the plastic.
>
> Also I assume that ABS in 1/8" would be a good choice for this
> application?
>
> Looking forward to any help from plastics experts...

Peter,
I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I will tell you what I did on my
Spit.  I fabricated the ductwork out of aluminum.  The Spit needs no
"hinging" that you mention, but if it is necessary, aluminum hinges are
available in strips that you can cut to fit and rivet in place.  It's light
weight, you can polish or paint it as you desire and it doesn't rot or
deteriorate with light or water.  The only drawback is that it is not
"original".  But then neither is plastic.

Regards,
Joe Curry