Re: BMW Z3

To: toryj@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: BMW Z3
From: Jochen.Saal@t-online.de (Jochen Saal)
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 22:18:32 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tory Johnson wrote:
> Let me say to all the responses, and especially to Steve, I am a true
> LBC owmner.....78 Spit. Also, i must plead true ignorance....I know all
> of you are goin to laugh out loud, bit being the honest type of guy that
> i am, i will confess to believing that BMW stood for British Motor
> Works. I will now let the laughing die down before saying, i don't know
> where i got that idea. Having said that, and owining up to my stupidity,
> will someone now educate me and tell me what BMW stands for. Thanks for
> your patience and mercy on one who seeks knowledge from those who know
> more than me.
>
> Troy Johnson
> Bossier City, LA
> 78 Spitfire

Hi Troy,

BMW stands for *Bayrische Motoren Werke* which I would translate as *Bavarian
motors factory*.

Almost two year ago, when the BMW Z3 was launched, I won a Z3 for a weekend
trip. Unfortunately, the 2.8 (6-cylinder) wasn’t available at that time, so I
drove the 1.8 4-cylinder. The engine has 115Hp and is slightly stronger than my
TR6 (102Hp). My wife likes the car very much because the Z3 is well known even
to her girl friends (I gave up to explain what a Triumph is...). Anyway, we
started our trip from Munich and we headed in direction of the Alps (mountains
in south Germany).
The Z3 has definitely some advantages against Triumph’s TR6, this is what I
liked:
- a good and absolutely tightly top
- the car holds the road very well (the TR chassis design is almost 30 years
older)
- the safety aspects (air bag, ABS)
- seat heating and strong car heating (it wasn’t very warm in the mountains,
nevertheless we had the top down)
- power steering, so my wife was able to drive as well
- the Z3 does not twist as the TR’s, the body is very stable
... and this is what I didn’t like:
- the engine sound, really horrible! It sounded like my Mom’s  sewing machine
- the car is too perfect, I did not feel the road, everything worked very easy
(just right for my wife)
- The Z3 is NOT exciting, it’s just a nice roadster (sorry, I should say open
two-seater) without any charisma
- I personally do not like the style, but other people may see that different
- The engine does not surprise, there is simply not enough torque available at
lower revs, although it has more power

Conclusion:
I would never change my TR6 against a BMW Z3! But, all real Triumph
enthusiasts
are not the target buyers for the modern 2-seaters. Most people who are buying
these cars usually do not make any repair work and in many cases they don’t
know
what a camshaft or a piston is.

Unfortunately, the 6-cylinder engine wasn’t available at that time, this would
have been the right engine for the Z3.

I am going to make a new test ride on a BMW Z3 M-Roaster in March. This car is
equipped with a straight six and 321Hp, which - I’m sure - will make a lot of
fun. People say that the acceleration is almost as strong as the famous 427
Cobra. Fortunately, this car is much to expensive and I can’t effort it just as
a nice toy.

The BMW 2.8 (192HP, straight six) in my TR6 would be a perfect combination ...

Best regards and a happy New Year

Jochen Saal
Munich, Germany
74 TR6 (US Modell)