Re: BMW Z3

To: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Subject: Re: BMW Z3
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 11:13:33 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Gerhard:

I have always believed that I owned the ancestor of the TR4 engine.  I have
recently restored a 1950 Standard Vanguard.  This engine - a 2088cc,
wet-liner, OHV four - was developed in 1947 by Standard Cars, the parent
company of Triumph.  It was subsequently used in the Triumph 1800/2000
drophead coupe, the Triumph Renown and the TR2, TR3 and TR4.  Modified into
a six cylinder in 1961 for use in the last Vanguards, the engine was
subsequently employed in the Vitesse 2000, Triumph 2000 and the TR6.

Was the original four cylinder based on a Citroen design?  I know that
Citroen introduced an OHV four with wet-liners in the early 30s but this
was not an original idea.  It is possible that Standard may have examined
this engine for ideas but by 1947 it seems less likely.  The Standard
engine was revolutionary for Britain in that the bore/stroke relationship
was nearly square, unlike the usual tax-evading narrow bore engines which
were previously popular.

I would like to hear more on this topic, which should be of interest to all
TR owners - except those of us who are blessed/cursed with TR7s.

John McEwen