Re: TR3 head removal -ROPE TRICK DANGERS

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: TR3 head removal -ROPE TRICK DANGERS
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:24:27 -0800
Cc: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>, "'Adrio Taucer'" <adrio@capitalnet.com>, "'British List'" <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> Meanwhile, a word of caution -- or maybe not. On the "wet-liner" engines
> such as the TR3 and TR4, I'm just wondering if the rope trick is a good
> idea. Most of the manuals detail all kinds of cautions about disturing
> the liners by turning the crank/pistons while the head is off or loose.
> The reason is the risk of damaging the seal of the figure-8 gaskets at
> the bottom of the liners, thereby necessitating more disassembly and
> renewing of items that one might have otherwise anticipated doing.
>
> I'm just wondering if the otherwise great rope trick might contribute to
> this problem. Any real-world experience out there on this task with the
> wet-liner engines?
>
> --Andy

My thoughts Andy:

If you're planning to remove the pistons... (i.e. you're not just
replacing the headgasket or de-coking the piston tops...)  YOU SHOULD
REPLACE THE FIGURE 8's...

On several TR 4A motors that I have disassmbled... I have found either
NEARLY dead figure 8's... OR... worse... DEAD figure 8 gaskets... that
didn't leak, only because there was so much corrosion and crud trapped
in the area!

IT is WISE to replace... especially on an older motor where they might
be in question.

So you're RIGHT ON THE MONEY... about being careful... depending on
one's purpose for removing the head!  The rope trick, may CERTAINLY,
cause a piston to push a liner or two up, at different rates/times...
thereby DESTROYING the figure 8's!

--Justin
J.M.Wagner Sales, Ltd.
TR 4A's since '77