Tyres for TR6

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Tyres for TR6
From: john_worthy_at_wca-0606@mail.workcover.nsw.gov.au
Date: Wed, 13 May 98 10:02:19 +1000

     Previously I asked the lkist for assistance in calculating the overall
     gearing of a TR6.  The question stemmed from the fact that the TR6 I
     recently purchased had 185/65 tyres on it.  Got a number of responses
     to my question and all agreed that 185/65s were totally inappropriate.

     I now want to replace these and was set on getting a set of 205/70s
     until I read on the VTR maintenance page an article on TR6 tyres which
     says:

     "I would stay away from the 205/70-15 or shorter profiles (like 60
     series) unless you don't care about how accurate your speedometer is.
     If you're into autox you might want the 205/70 because they are
     roughly 2% smaller diameter."

     This person promoted the 215/70.  Now I'm totally confused.

     If the original tyres were 185/80 then the tyre width was 148mm.
     205/70s are 143.5 while 215/70s are 150.5.  It would seem 215s are
     closer to original.  However. they border on overtyring the rim and
     look big.  What advice can listers give me?

     John
     72 TR6