Re: Tyres for TR6

To: Darrell Leach <Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Tyres for TR6
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 22:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Darrell Leach wrote:

> A small problem here.  The '80' in 185/80 does not make the width 148mm.
> The '80' is the ratio (as a percentage) of sidewall height to the tread
> width.  So the width of a 185/80/15 is ABOUT 185 mm and the sidewall height
> is ABOUT 148 mm.

Am I wrong in assuming that the TR6 was supplied with 185SR-15 tires,
rather than 185/80-15s?  I thought that SR tires (sport radials...) had a
smaller diameter than "normal" tires.

At least, that's what it seems with the 165SRs; I am probably going to
have to find some NOS tires for my TR4.  All the cheapy tire places don't
have anything narrow or small enough, in 15".  I could stick a big fat
tire on, but it would interfere (and probably not be too happy about 4"
rims)  I did find some Michelin 165 redlines (XZX) but they sold quick
quick like, and I didn't have the money :-(

-Malcolm
'62 TR4