Re: ersatz turbo.

To: tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au, rstieg@ci.bartlett.tn.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: ersatz turbo.
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:05:42 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-01 11:41:38 EDT, tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au writes:

> Has anyone ever considered an electric supercharger?
>  snip <
>  Tell me if it has already been done or why it would not work and I will go
>  back to the corner.

Trevor,

I don't know the actual numbers, but assuming a mechanical supercharger draws
5 HP from the engine to operate, that same 5 HP would require 310 amps from
the alternator (not taking into account the added ineficiency from the
mech/elect conversion in the alternator). Even a one HP drain would draw 62
amps.

There may be other reasons as well, but I would think that would be enough to
make it impractical. Not impossible, just impractical.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74