Re: ersatz turbo.

To: rstieg <rstieg@ci.bartlett.tn.us>
Subject: Re: ersatz turbo.
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 20:53:52 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
rstieg wrote:

> The post about air whistling through air cleaners sounding like a turbo got
> me to thinking:
> what pitch would approximate a Merlin engine at about 25 inches boost?

Hmmm... lessee. About 175-200 db at 2 ft from the exhaust, overall
primary frequency of about 6000 Hz at speed, strong secondary frequency
from the straight-cut gears in the prop drive of about 8000 Hz. Lots of
lower harmonics... a _great_ deal of noise up close. <g>

> how 'bout the siren used by the Stuka?

About 10000 Hz. But I don't think it was a siren in the conventional
sense... the sound only occurred in steep dives, and was some sort of
aerodynamic device, rather than a motored siren, I think.

> Tape of a Ferrari in fourth gear??

As loud as your speakers can stand, and the frequency is dependent upon
the fidelity of the speakers. [Ferrari owners will say, no matter how
loud, "louder!, it's not faithful to the original."]

> Will probably settle for a playing card up against the cooling fan.

About 85 db (frequency dependent upon the number of blades and the speed
of the fan), until the card wears out, 65-70 db thereafter. <smile>