Re: TR3/4 Front Discs

To: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: TR3/4 Front Discs
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 10:27:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumph news group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, George Richardson wrote:

> I can't seem to get the new dust seals to stay in place. The old ones
> were held in by metal rings, but I can't get the rings onto the new
> ones. Anyone got any advice?

Methinks you have TR6 caliper pistons.  They are exactly the same size as
TR4 pistons but use a different seal on the dust cover (metal ring, insead
of tight groove)

Find the number stamped on the caliper too.  Might even be TR6 calipers!

> Also, does anyone have an opinion on this conversion? Is it better,
> worse, no change? The pads are smaller, and the disc size for the TR4
> should be smaller as well, although I haven't yet checked to see if the
> discs have been swapped.

How much smaller are the pads?  On my TR4, I replaced the worn-out (and
apparently organic) pads with semi-metallic; the new pads were a a bit
bigger.  (The old ones were tapered- shaped like a pie slice w/ the end
cut off- and the new ones were square)

> --
> George Richardson
> '57 TR3, TS15559L - painting and reassembling....
> http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm