Re: TR3/4 Front Discs

To: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3/4 Front Discs
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 09:02:04 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
KTRIUMPH@aol.com wrote:

> George
> You should have the original calipers - the ones with the bridge pipe. I think
> any of the various calipers will work on your car and all are pretty much the
> same in terms of performance.
> It is my experience that the rebuild seals work the same on all the styles -
> all use the same pistons. Don't recall any seals held in by metal rings. The
> dust seals ride in a groove on the head of the piston and a groove in the
> caliper "cylinder".
> BTW when rebuilding calipers I highly recommend new pistons. Old rusty pistons
> tend to tear up new seals. Brakes aren't something to skimp on.......
> Ken Nuelle
> 58 TR3A
> 62 TR3B
> 64 TR4

On the advice of serveral listers, I looked at the Moss catalogs for the
TR6 disc brakes, and sure enough, that's what they are.

The pistons were in fairly good shape, it was the buildup of rust and
crud on the cylinder bore that prevented the pistons from moving.

For the time being, I'm going to get the seals for the TR6 units and
finish them up (they're all operating now, but using old dust covers),
then replace them sometime this winter with an original set I'm buying
from lister Ed Woods.

--
George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L - painting and reassembling....