Re: oil free air compressors vs. oil-full !!!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: oil free air compressors vs. oil-full !!!
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 08:26:10 -0400
For what it's worth,
Just finished a search for a replacement compressor.  My observations were in
order of increasing price: oiless, splash lubricated, pressure lubricated
models. Output volume, Horse power,  and top pressure vary significantly.
Higher priced models had larger tanks, higher tank pressures and greater
volumes,  but not always.

Check the tools you intend to use and let that help  focus you on the model.
Price point will get you a compressor but it may be too weak to do some of the
things you want to do later. What I saw was HVLP painting, sandblasting, some
sanders and die grinders are air volume hungry.

The smaller compressor units are usually self contained with regulator.  Be
prepared to spend more for water seperators or other types of inline
accessories depending on the tools you intend to use.

As the motor gets bigger you may need to replace an electrical outlet to use
the unit (as I did). You may have an outlet, but does it support the amperage
needed.  Bigger units always also seemed to require accessory purchases from
regulators down to the level of even the valve to turn off the air line.
Expect the budget hit before tools.

My impression became that motor horsepower used, looked at in relationship to
produced volume,  was a measure of how hard the unit had to work.  While I know
that the internal components affect wear, my reasoning was the the engineering
was probably stretched to get good/better looking numbers on the lowest cost
models. My search found 18CFM units in the 5 HP range, but no where near that
price.  If you cross compare pay close attention to the pressure ratings. Two
compressors showing 9 CFM capability but with one measured at 90psi and the
other at 175psi will not behave the same under tool load.  The 90psi unit will
work harder to keep up under equal usage conditions.

Because I was looking to sandblast I had a number of people suggest that I
wanted atleast 18 CFM @ 100 psi.  I ended up picking a higher output CFM splash
lubricated unit over a lower output CFM pressure lubricated unit at equal
price. My reasoning was that the higher output capability was more important
than pressure lubrication since I viewed my usage as hobby rather than
commercial.

Retail sales are cyclic.  Generally in the same periods each year, so that they
can use the momentum of the sale to beat last years numbers. My suggestion
would be to do your homework first, you'll be happier in the long run.  If you
miss a sale it will return a couple of times a year.  The market seems  to be
very competitive on the low end, just watch for the marketing perception
tricks. The are a number of large hardware stores and farm supply stores with
competitive selections.  Some of them don't want to be undersold, negotiate
based on the lowest advertised price.

Hope this help. Good luck!