Re: oil free air compressors vs. oil-full !!!

To: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: oil free air compressors vs. oil-full !!!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 19:19:21 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Jon Moody <mood@erols.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, George Richardson wrote:

> I've heard that oil in the air supply can ruin a paint job. I would
> guess that you'd need to filter the air really well with an oiled
> compressor.

You do anyway.  Air has water vapor in it, which condenses into water
under pressure.  An oil seperator / water seperator is what's required for
a top-notch paint job!  I two a while back (not sure how good either is) -
one clips to your belt, the other is a permanent fixture.

Of course, you don't need a water seperator for water-based paints.

I think I will try to compile a FAQ article regarding Compressor, welder,
paint-gun, etc. choices; perhaps even devote another "section" to
shop-stuff.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm