Re: TR6 alternator problems - more info

To: dstauffa@csc.com
Subject: Re: TR6 alternator problems - more info
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:03:08 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dave,

I'm not sure if you were referring to my article on the VTR site, but I
may be able to shed some more light on the regulator/diode pack/wiring
arrangement.

Dan is right about the wire combination as far as the large brown wire
being the main charging line, and the smaller brown/yellow being for the
IND light. The other smaller brown wire is the voltage sensing wire from
the main harness. It basically supplies the monitoring voltage for
external sensing regulators (3 and 4 wire types, if memory serves).

Now, if you have a red wire from the regulator, chances are you have an
external sensing type. (I'm at work now and don't have my original notes
in front of me, so I'm working from memory) Does it have three or four
wires? If it does, you'll need a diode pack that has an electrically
isolated third, or inner, spade connector. That's where the red wire
from the regulator and the small brown wire from the harness should
attach--that's the "S" terminal--you have a voltage sensing regulator.
If there's an additional white wire from the regulator, it should attach
to the center spade connector. That makes the regulator a dual-sensing
(machine and voltage).

Later regulator/diode pack set-ups used a simpler two wire (black and
yellow), machine sensing circuit. The two inner spade terminals are
joined electrically. Here, the third smaller brown wire is probably not
necessary since the regulator monitors voltage at the main charging
terminal--feed back voltage from the harness isn't necessary. I can only
assume the third, inner spade was left on the diode pack so earlier
three connector plugs would still fit snuggly and work with the existing
wiring. And electrically, it made no difference since all brown wires
are part of the same circuit

That orange (or tan, depending how faded it is) should be a jumper from
the center slip ring brush to the IND connector. This is the "balance"
circuit that controls the dash light, and the wire that supplies initial
"excitement" voltage to the windings in the alternator, which allows it
to produce output quicker.

Something else you have to watch out for. When the alternator goes in
for overhaul, the original black plastic cap may or may not be replaced
(broken caps are replaced from the parts pile). Go by the electrical
connection/isolation of the second and third diode pack spades. That
will determine if you need a two or three wire regulator.

Hope all this helps,
Charlie B.