Dashpot oil

To: "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Dashpot oil
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:36:35 -0400
Well, I experimented a little with the oils.  This unfortunately was a
bench top test, as my car is not running yet.

I can not tell how fast the SU piston rises when the accelerator
is presses, but when I use my thumb and 10w40 oil, I can
only get it to rise to the max in about 4 seconds even with
pretty strong pressure.

5w30 takes half that long, as the viscosity index might suggest.

ATF oil is about comparable to 5w30 or slightly thinner.

One interesting thing I found is that when I tested the other
carb with the same oil, it SEEMED like it always rose slightly slower
with the same pressure (as far as I can tell with my thumb).

I have to check this out  further.

I am trying to tell if my thumb is a good benchmark.  I figure I can
develop 40 lb easily and maybe up around 60 lb (prob no more
than that due to awkward positioning).

With engine vacuum pulling the piston (area around 7 sq.in.) pulling
at what less than 15 psi (not a perfect vacuum), maybe 10psi, then the
total pull on the piston should be around 70 lb.  (someone please
check my math).

Therefore, I think my thumb is a fairly good benchmark.  How fast do
we want the piston to rise when you floor the accelerator?  I'd say a
couple
of seconds, no more.  Maybe 10w40 oil is too thick???  Maybe 5wt is
better????

-Tony