TR4A PCV Diaphragm

To: "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4A PCV Diaphragm
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:07:27 -0400
I am R & R'ing my TR4A PCV valve.  I see a check valve in the bottom
of the housing.  I guess this is to prevent flow INTO the engine.  The
rubber diaphragm (which is probably the original one) was never fitted
quite right, and it probably always leaked a little air.

What is the purpose of the diapgragm.  Bot the inlet and outlet pipes are
on the same side of the diaphragm.  THe diaphragn is sitting on top of a
spring-loaded plunger which seems to be pulled into the housing
with sufficient vacuum and occlude the outlet port to the carbs, but
it does not make an air tight seal.  Maybe it is supposed to
push down on the check valve.  I just cant tell.

The entire unit is not all that air tight.  If I put vacuum on the carb
side, and
plug the engine side, air leaks in to the thing around the top.

How is this thing supposed to work.  I am afraid it will lean out my
mixture.

-Tony