Re: TR4A PCV Diaphragm

To: "Anthony Rhodes" <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: TR4A PCV Diaphragm
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 09:11:40 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Tony,

I think many people have bypassed the PCV valve.  I found a small cork in
the manifold entry fitting on my car with the hose slipped right over this.
The problem with this is your engine will start to leak a lot of oil.....
because the blow-by has nowhere to go and will  create a pulsing pressure
inside the engine.

That's why I want to revert back to the original open breather scheme.  My
idle varies from 750-1700.  I have to blip the gas pedal a couple of times
to get it to settle.  I know the PCV valve is not working because.... when
the engine is idling at say 1200 RPM... if I squeeze the hose going into the
intake manifold the engine almost stalls.  This means that there is a large
amount of air being fed into the manifold beyond the carburetors.

Not Good!!!!

I got a new diaphragm from Moss but it doesn't match my car. The diaphragm
that was in the car captured the round disk with the pin and keep it
centered.  The diaphragm that Moss sent has no pocket for the disk/pin
piece.  I installed the new rubber diaphragm and let the disk/pin thing
float on top of the spring.  Things are slightly improved but still have the
problem.

The cork thing will work if you provide some other way to vent the engine.
I can't give advice on this for a TR4A.   Can anybody help with traditional
wisdom on how to handle these PCV valves.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com