Re: Pre ignition (or Pre detonation / Pinking)

To: bjohnson@mmm.com
Subject: Re: Pre ignition (or Pre detonation / Pinking)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:25:14 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I'm looking for some information about how to get rid  of the pre ignition
>on my 1963 TR4.     I  have bought  the 5 new distibutor weight springs
>from MOSS's   but they didn't give me any instructions on getting the best
>set up.   Has anyone any experience of  solving this problem ?       I know
>that pre-ignition can sometimes be due to an overdue de coke to the
>cylinder head,   but this has been done.      I  hope that the solution
>lies in the use of two of the 5 springs that I have been sent, but how to
>get the best set up - I don't know !
The only way to alleviate the problem is to either reduce timing (retard)
or use higher octane fuel. - the springs and weights will only change the
RATE or RPM at which advance will occur, not total advance.  This might
help only if the detonation occurs at low engine speeds and only if they
slow the advance at that speed.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire