Re: Re-using Silicon brake fluid

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Re-using Silicon brake fluid
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:52:04 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> After bleeding an entirely new system, and using up about a quart of very
> expensive Silicon brake fluid (fluif if you wish) I was pondering
> (sometimes dangerous for me) the re-use of this particular fluid.  I
> realize that it was un-wise to use old Dot3 or 4 brake fluid because
> exposure to air allowed absorption of water and such, but since Silicon
> fluid doesn't absorb water, and if one were to filter out all particulate
> contaminates using say a high quality fuel, filter to strain through, I
> would think it would be OK.  Any thoughts? Comments?  I probably won't do
> it, but it's tempting-
> Barry:

As per your reasoning, I can't see why you wouldn't reuse it, as
described.  If the fluid is just the blowout from a new system, you
shouldn't even need to filter it.  I converted my GT6 to silicone, but
since I used the silicone to push out remnants of Castrol LMA, I
don't have the same option with what's left over.

Of course, you won't have leaks in a new brake system (right?), so your
opportunity
to reuse the stuff won't come for a while ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6