Re: TR4/4A differences

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4/4A differences
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:42:51 EST5EDT
 With all due respect to Art K. -- a TR4 expert and original owner if there
ever was
one...

> As well as a larger radiator for the TR4A, the TR4A had a six bladed rather
> than a four bladed fan (as on the TR4).

I think the six blade fan was still an option on the 4A. Here on the east
coast, a
rare one at that. If anyone has one for sale, contact me immediately. ;>) Don't
know
about the rad "size". No 4a rads have the long neck or hole for the crank. 4A's
switched
back to SU's at some HOTLY debated point... (CTC67XXXX ?)

Did anyone mention the parking brake? It moved to the center console with the
totally new
different, chassis frame. I think two speed wipers became standard. 83mm
(2000cc) liners
were no longer an option on the 4A. All 4A dashes were wood. This was optional
on 4's.
Convertible tops and hardware are way different. 4A's have a "safety" latch on
the "hood
catch". I met a guy who swears that that the original leather in his 4A is ALL
leather,
not just the seat faces. Mine aren't. Seats different.  Door locks in handles,
not
separate. The center dash support is now a vinyl covered console rather than
simply
painted.  4A's are negative earth. Alt was option on 4A. (Never seen
one--original one
with external regulator anway. ) Different jack. No holes in floor for old
style jack.
Early 4A's had "twin" exhaust. Late4a's have "transverse" single muffler. (not
mine
though, hee hee.)

Different car. Everything but the engine and body tub.

Chris Lillja
Spit MkIV
Norton Commando
TR4A