TR6 Woes Cont'd

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Woes Cont'd
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 20:36:42 EDT
Hi,

Well, as suggested by several of you, I checked my crankshaft end float to
find out if that is why I was getting a clicking noise whenever I depressed
the clutch.  Sure enough that is the problem.  When I press the clutch it
causes the flywheel to come in contact with the starter gear.  To determine
this I pushed on the fan pulley toward the rear of the car and thought I felt
the crankshaft move.  I then took a measurement between the face of the fan
and the face of the radiator.  I then had my Son press the clutch to the floor
while I took another reading.  The difference was .163" OUCH!

Now.....it appears as though I have lost a thrust washer somehow, someway.  Is
this a normal event for this engine?  As far as I know the engine has never
been torn apart.  Is it possible that it has been driven like this for a
period of time and the PO's didn't realize it?  What kind of damage may have
occured?  Also, is there a ?simple? procedure for replacing the thrust
washer(s)?

Thanks again, any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated as usual.

Scott Helms
Northern Indiana