Re: TR6 Woes Cont'd

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Woes Cont'd
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:00:25 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Well, as suggested by several of you, I checked my crankshaft end float to
 find out if that is why I was getting a clicking noise whenever I depressed
 the clutch.  Sure enough that is the problem.  When I press the clutch it
 causes the flywheel to come in contact with the starter gear.  To determine
 this I pushed on the fan pulley toward the rear of the car and thought I felt
 the crankshaft move.  I then took a measurement between the face of the fan
 and the face of the radiator.  I then had my Son press the clutch to the
floor
 while I took another reading.  The difference was .163" OUCH!

 Now.....it appears as though I have lost a thrust washer somehow, someway.
Is
 this a normal event for this engine?  As far as I know the engine has never
 been torn apart.  Is it possible that it has been driven like this for a
 period of time and the PO's didn't realize it?  What kind of damage may have
 occured?  Also, is there a ?simple? procedure for replacing the thrust
 washer(s)?

 Thanks again, any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated as usual.

 Scott Helms
 Northern Indiana

Scott
If you've lost a thrust washer, do not run the motor. I believe it is possible
to fit new t-washers with the engine in situ. I could be wrong but I think a
friend of mine did on his TR6.
Probably best is an overhaul.
I have heard that this is a common occurance on some later Spitfires, too big
of a clutch. This happened to someone I know and the crankshaft wore into the
block to the point where his engine wasn't salvageable.
Good Luck!

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B