Piston/Liner Set Quality

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Piston/Liner Set Quality
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:39:39
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brian,

RE: Piston/liner sets

>Anybody heard anything like this.  Are there bad sets and good sets.
>I would like to use the 87mm sets if possible but quality is
>paramount.

What I heard was that Hepolite, and only Hepolite, misfigured the total
expansion of the TR sized pistons because the alloy or casting dimensions
(I can't recall which) was chosen based on the running temperature of
modern engines, which is higher than that which is seen in our "older"
vehicles.  Newer cars run hotter, yielding greater piston expansion.
Therefore, they require higher piston/liner clearances when cold, so they
don't sieze when they heat up.

The "bad" batch of Hepolite pistons doesn't get hot enough to fully expand
the piston, resulting in audible piston slap.

I don't know if the "bad batch" is out of the system yet, but many vendors,
such as British Frame and Engine and BPNW sell Mahle too, so, I believe,
the problem is avoidable.  I'd recommend speaking with these (and your
regular) vendors to see what they know if you're ready to pursue the piston
liner sets now.  I am within a month or two of purchase also, which is why
I have been pursuing the same questions.

I am leaving for a week+ of vacation as soon as I finish up here at work
(the next hour or so), so I'll have to catch up on this important thread
when I get back.  I apologize for throwing oil on the fire and running, but
the car (SAAB not the TR3) is packed and ready for the 10 hour drive to
Durham, NC.  Vacation hotspot????  Naaa, my 20 Year college reunion, a
brief stay with family for RH, then to the NC beaches for vacation.

Jack (looking forward to following the thread next week) Brooks