Painting TR4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Painting TR4
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:49:54 -0400
     Please excuse me for losing track of who initiated this thread; I
     meant to comment a bit earlier.....
     I was wondering about this too for my TR3a, when I read someplace that
     the cars originally were painted with the fenders just loosely
     attached, and then the beading was added and the bolts tightened up.
     It seems like it would solve the question of getting the paint into
     the cracks quite nicely, while avoiding the possibility of scratching
     the newly painted fenders installing them if they were painted off the
     car, so this is the approach I'll take.

     Don't know how well this applies to the 4, but food for thought
     anyway.

     Regards,
     Jim Wallace
     << I have a couple of questions about painting a TR4.  Not that I'm
      anwhere near ready to do so but I'm just trying to plan ahead!!

     Since the fenders are removeable is it better to paint the fenders off
     the car or attached to the car?  I'm assuming that painting the doors
     is easier to do off the car.  I assume with the fenders you would want
     to trial fit before painting to make sure everything lines up
     correctly.