Re: Painting TR4

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Painting TR4
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 17:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "List, Tiumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, jonmac wrote:

> it) Blackjack and just the sort of thing not to get near a pair of white
> cricket flannels or a bride's dress.

What color is it?  I'm assuming black, but I came across a lot of orange
bubbly not-too-flexible-any-more type of stuff in many joints.  I'm pretty
sure it was reddish-orange, and was also under the (original) signal red
paint.

> During body assembly, the facing surfaces on body joins were daubed with
> Blackjack and then as the surfaces 'kissed' and were tighted in place,
> there was a certain amount of ooze from displaced blackjack.

Was it used for every single join (spot-weld...?) or just the ones the end
user would see?

> I don't know whether blackjack is still used in UK. I spose it must be but
> probably a better version though its not available in shops and I can't
> comment for Murica.

The inside of the trunk of our 83 Oldsmobile seems to have a sort of
plasticy compound.  I don't know where I can get it- but I bet I could
find out next time I'm near a body shop / paint store.

> product you can buy here in hardware stores for repairing cracks in
> builders roofing felt (gritted tarpaper). I used it myself some years ago
> to repair a leak in my garage roof and it certainly did the trick. It comes

I've used roof patch compound, which is about the consistency of
toothpaste (though not as tasty), and has a lot of asphalt and fibrous
stuff in it.  It works well as a temporary measure, for holes that I don't
want to fix, I also swim a bit of zinc stripping (also used on roofs, to
eliminate moss), cut to fit, and glued in.

It hardens in a month or more.  It does seem to get a bit brittle, but
only if you use far too much- I try to keep it thin and out of the
weather- and haven't had any trouble now.

FWIW it also seems to take paint, but I will have to wait and see if
there's any cracking or bleed-through or other nasties.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm