Re: Brake host question

To: Frank Kucharik <fgk@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Brake host question
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:19:10 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Frank Kucharik wrote:

> I've never had to mess with the brakes until now.  Is this a
> straight "disconnect the old, instal the new" replacement?
> Do I have to bleed the brakes after this, or just replace
> any lost fluid?  (I assume there's brake fluid in the hose?)

You should get a hold of a car manual.  Even one for a different car; flex
hoses are generally similar.  (Of course, the one for your Spit will be
the best).

The brake system is a hydraulic system.  It's used because it's easier to
make fluid go around corners and through flexible things than anything
else.  However, if you put air into a hydraulic system (ie, when there's a
bubble in the lines... after you remove a fitting), it's no longer proper.
Think of it as fixing a chain with a piece of string.  It might work, but
you've got a lot of risk involved!

You will need to bleed the brakes for certain; any time the hydraulic
system is exposed, it must be flushed clean.  For starters, get some
penetrant on the fittings at either end of the flex hoses.  (As another
lister pointed out, the rear ones may be bad as well.  Check them; if they
look new, they may have been replaced.  If the fittings are covered with
rust, then you have a job ahead o' you.  There is an article in the FAQ
about brake fittings; I think I've got another article to upload regarding
job specifics.  If the weather continues to be depressing around here,
I'll probably do some FAQwork later today.

If you don't want to bugger things up, take it to a mechanic.  Say "Fix
Brake Hoses Please".  Let them sort it out.  Be prepared to pay quite a
bit.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm