Re: Funny Noise at Ignition

To: "David J. Stephenson" <daves96@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Funny Noise at Ignition
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, David J. Stephenson wrote:

> Something happened today which makes me nervous and upon which perhaps
> someone can shed some light. I started my 74 TR-6 this morning and I
> heard a sort of clicking noise as I turned the key. The engine started
> after a second and the noise disappeared. After driving a while I

Was it a buzz, or did it click once for every time you tried the key?

If I get it right, the TR6 starter uses a solenoid to engange the pinion
and close the points to make the starter turn the flywheel.

When you turn the key, the solenoid is energized- a solenoid is an
electromagnet (remember wrapping a nail with wire and plugging it into a
battery?).  It flings the starter pinion into the flywheel, so that it
meshes (at one end), and closes the breaker points to let the starter
motor turn(at the other end).  May not work exactly like this- It's likely
that I have the pushes, pulls, and ends mixed up; but I've never
dismantled a TR6 starter.

You wouldn't want the amperages involved with cranking the engine going
through your key-switch- it would have to be mighty big, same with the
wires!

On my TR4, the solenoid is external.  All it does is control the
electricity going to the starter.  The pinion moves using a bendix
(spiral) gear.

So it's my guess (after all that, whew) that either your solenoid is
sticky or the ingition switch is worn.  Check whichever is easier.

As for your red-light syndrome; that may be a clue to worn brushes on your
alternator/generator, or some sort of leak somewhere in the ignition
system.

If the problem gets worse, but the light goes out a high revs, then it is
most likely your brushes.  Not a difficult fix, I imagine.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm