Re: Funny Noise at Ignition

To: "David J. Stephenson" <daves96@concentric.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Funny Noise at Ignition
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:12:35 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
What you have described is usually a symptom of a corrosion at the battery
terminals creating high resistance in the starting/charging circuit.  When
you turn the key there is simply not enough current to keep the solenoid
energized, hence the clicking noise as the solenoid energizes and
de-energizes.  Your moving the battery, which enabled the car to start, is a
good clue.  Try removing the battery cables, clean the terminals with a
battery terminal brush, slap on some Vaseline and resecure the terminals.
This should fix the problem. although you may have to jump start the car
initially because the battery is probably in a low state of charge, owing to
the aforementioned high resistance.  Also. check the connection between the
ground cable and the car body.  Once the car is started and you run it
enough to recharge the battery, everything should be OK.