Re: Funny Noise at Ignition

To: "David J. Stephenson" <daves96@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Funny Noise at Ignition
From: "G. Ganoung" <gg07165@spectra.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:06:24 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
David J. Stephenson wrote:

> Something happened today which makes me nervous and upon which perhaps
> someone can shed some light. I started my 74 TR-6 this morning and I
> heard a sort of clicking noise as I turned the key. The engine started
> after a second and the noise disappeared. After driving a while I
> stopped the car and turned-off the engine. Returning a few minutes later
> I turned the key and nothing happened. No ignition light. No noises.
> Nothing. I popped the hood, pushed the battery back slighly, prayed
> softly, and when I turned the key, the engine turned over right away. My
> questions is, is it the battery?, ignition switch?, starter?, solonoid?,
> a combo?, or the dark force of Lucas? BTW, when the car idles at about
> 800 rpm the ignition light flickers abit now and then. I've had the car
> 15 years and this has never happened before. Any insight would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave Stephenson
I have a 74 TR6 also with a chronic ignition problem.  When I go to
start the car and turn the key to the start position, nothing happens
for about 3 seconds, then the starter will engage.  If I turn the key to
the run position (before I turn it to the start position) and let it sit
there for about 3 seconds, I can then turn it to start position and it
will crank normally.  It has been this way for about 2 years.  It doesnt
seem to get worse or better and is consistent.  I replaced the starter
relay only so far with no effect.  Next step is the solenoid.
Isn't Lucas wonderful????  If anyone can shed some light on this I'd
would be most appreciative.