(no subject)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: (no subject)
From: Windoseat@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:09:32 EDT
Hi, Listers;

Making progress on the GT6+ restoration.....mainly on the front suspension,
but recently I put the car up on jack stands to remove the steering and got my
first up close look at the underside of the floor pans.From the inside of the
car (with seats and carpet removed) things look fine but under the car is the
evidence of the bad job of repairing rust damage that was done by a DPO. There
are two 2" long rust holes along the seam between the sill and the floor pan
on the passenger's side. Areas around the seat belt anchors have been repaired
with patches that were pop riveted in place and then welded. The foot well on
the driver's side and the seam along the sill have several pop riveted patches
and welds. My conclusion is that I'll have to replace the floor pans. That
leads me to shipwrights disease. While I'm at it I'll remove the body and do a
proper job on the chassis. The frame has been heavily undercoated on the
outside and inside. The undercoating is the type that hardens and cracks with
age. Does anyone on the list have any experience with removing this type of
material from inside the frame? Or would it be better to spray a flexible,
non-hardening undercoat in there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan