Re: Request for advice and Help

To: Gbouff@aol.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Request for advice and Help
From: Gbouff@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:33:52 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/98 10:19:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Gbouff writes:

<<
 Dear Tom,
 Welcome to the wonderful world of "where can I get that part".  I am in the
process of restoring a 59 TR3A to approximatly the same condition that you
describe.  Presently I am at the rolling chassis stage.  I have spent too many
dollars on books, and as far as I am concerned the only two worth anything are
Bill Piggott's, "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A" and the "Triumph TR2 & TR3 Srevice
Instruction Manual".
 Piggott's book is a must read for any serious restoration, I can't say enough
about it. I found a copy midway through the point where I am and actually re-
did some of what I restored.  The service manual will help you re-asemble
what's apart, but it leaves a lot to the imagination,  I would buy a better
service manual if I could find one.
 I found that Lamm's book was fine as far as listing different techniques and
processes, but lacked the detail necessary for the novice to accomplish any
single technique.  It seemed like it was written for college as " Introduction
to LBC 101", It's not worth the price for what you will get out of it.
 David Hodges', "Essential Triumph TR  TR2-TR8" is a nice brief history of
triumph development, but not much help for restoration.
 This is just my own observation, I'm sure that others will disagree, but do
what I do.  Sift through all opinions and choose the ones that "feel" right.
 Please excuse any typos in this message.  My wife spilled soda on our former
keyboard and replaced it with this ":$19.95 cheapie" from Staples on which
several keys stick.  It really underscores the saying "you get what you pay
for".

 Good Luck,
 Gary Bouffard
 TS 58399 >>