Re: Request for advice and Help

To: JTRippel@csi.com
Subject: Re: Request for advice and Help
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 07:01:46 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Hello Thomas
I have a few of these endeavours under my belt and may be able to help you. Do
you have much experience with mechanical tinkering, painting , welding? Are
you planning on farming out the body work? Doubtless there will be some. Are
you going to paint the body shell yourself?
FWIW I can offer a few tips
Make a list of all the things you will definitely have to purchase. Wait until
there is some sort of sale (like TRF Winter Parts) and order then.
Get an overdrive trans if you don't already have one.
Get a new wiring harness.
Replace all brake lines, rebuild/replace all master/slave/wheel cyl/calipers
and use silicone fluid in the new system.
Have the radiator checked out.
Probably a good idea to relace the 4 tie rod ends, and the idler lever
assembly.
You may want to check out rechroming sources. If any chrome needs to be
addressed, a lot of the new chrome items don't hold up very well. Rechrome of
the existing to a high standard may be less $ and hassle in the long run.
If it's rubber figure to replace it.
Finally get a copy of the Factory Workshop Manual, also the Factory Parts
List. These are both the size of a small phonebook and are an invaluable
reference source. They were about $40 ea a few years back. The Moss catalogue
(free) is also a good thing to have on hand.
Pictures with detailed notes are a good idea - digital or otherwise.
Hope this is of some help ......
Good Luck
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4

 This will be the biggest restoration/rebuild task I have tried and I would
like to minimize the screw ups.  I will be able to devote as much time as I
need to this task, minus a few honey do's.

 My plans are to farm out the motor rebuild and external body paint job. My
intentions are to spend the next three months trying to plan the restoration
process and get prepared before I place a wrench to the TR.  As a result, I
have a 1001 questions and concerns.

 If possible, I would like to ask the advice of those of you who have been
down this road.

 1.     What books or manuals are absolute requirements or must have's?
        (I do have "How to restore British Sports Cars" by Jay Lamm.)

 2.     How successful are the new digital cameras for taking pictures of the
car
during the tear down?
 3.     Are there any decisions that you made that you now realize to be very
good
decisions and would recommend them to someone else?
 4.     Any bad choices or decisions that you would be willing to share?
 5.     I believe that there is a book that details a frame up restoration for
MG's. Is there a similar book or manual that talks specifically about TR3s?

 I will gladly compile any and all answers and provide them back to the list.
 In advance, thank you for any and all assistance you can provide.

 Thomas Rippel >>