Re: Electric cooling fans

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electric cooling fans
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 15:28:53 -0500
Jack Brooks wrote:

> I am in the process of converting my TR3A to an electric fan.  I am unsure
> about the best place to put the thermostatic switch.  I will be using a
> modern switch (18mm threaded?).  I am considering putting it in either the
> bottom or top of the radiator or possibly the steel coolant pipe which runs
> up from the bottom of the radiator up to the block.
>
> Who's already done this?  What did you do? What temp range did you use?
>
> Also, has anyone ever found a fan shroud combination which will fit a TR3
> radiator and not force me to use an alternator?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jack
> TS69032L
> NJ car show: http://pages.hotbot.com/family/triumph

Jack,

Be careful where you put your sensor.  If it only has one wire going to it, it
needs
to be grounded.  You will need to mount it either in the block or in the
radiator as
it needs a ground path that you won't get if you put it in the steel pipe to
the water
pump.

Also, remember that the temp at the bottom of the radiator is much cooler than
that at
the top.  You need a sensor that is designed to work in that particular spot
otherwise
the fans won't kick on until the temp coming out of the radiator is 195 degrees.
Going in, it could be well over 240 at that point.

Under the valve cover, there is an alum. plug in the center of the 4 cyl head
that can
be tapped out to install the temp sensor - it is a core clean out that goes
right into
the water jacket.  You would need to install a grommet in the valve cover, and
prepare
a good answer as to why you have a wire going into your valve cover, because
everyone
will ask you. (Don't ask how I know this.)

Alternatively, you can get some pipe fittings and simply extend the stock temp
sensor
and install a "T" to fit both sensors, or get the appropriate sensor to fit in
the
radiator - either one for top mounting or one for bottom.

Good luck!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars