Re: Electric cooling fans

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric cooling fans
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:21:34 +0100
The question is not where to put the thermostatic switch on your radiator but
which one should be used. Both components, the water thermostat and the
thermostatic switch, have to work together. This means the water thermostat has
to be completly open first to allow the radiator to cool down water . And the
difference in temperature between water thermostat completly open and electric
fan starting to run should be 10 degrees Celsius or more because you dont want
to run the electric fan all the time. The difference in temperatures between
top
and bottom of the radiator is some other 5 - 10 degrees Celsius.

On a closed water cooling system, which allows 1 bar pressure, you will have a
boiling temperature of some 120 °C, which limits the running conditons of your
engine and the selection of parts.

For example:
If you have a water thermostat which starts to open at 80 °C, it will be
completly open at some 5°C higher or 85°C. If you put the electric switch on
top
of the radiator choose a  95°C/90°C (start/stop) switch. If you put the
electric
switch on the bottom choose a 85 °C/90°C switch.

Regards

Gerhard Wiederholl

CC 31998 LO