Electric cooling fans

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric cooling fans
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:10:12 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Regarding thermostats for cooling fans -- I bought one from VB that has a
temperature sensor with a hollow capillary tube going to the thermostat.
You loosen the top hose, install an adhesive-backed foam seal on the outside
of the metal fitting, then bend the capillary so that the sensor is inside
the top of the radiator.  You then replace the hose, and they recommend a
worm-drive type hose clamp rather than the classic Triumph type.  I was a
little concerned about a leak, but it has worked fine for years.

It is an adjustable thermostat, with a range of 160F to 240F.  I have
adjusted it so that in normal driving it never turns on unless the day is
hot or I am stuck in traffic.  Then it does the job beautifully, and has
completely eliminated periodic overheating that I had before.   I also added
a switch inside the car to manually turn on the fan in case the thermostat
ever fails in the open position.  So far I have never had to use it.

Sumner Weisman
62 TR3B