Quote for repairs, a rip?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Quote for repairs, a rip?
From: "Jack Levy" <jack@cocoinc.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:55:09 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I decided to try a new shop for repairs on my newly aquired 70 GT6, it's sat
for a while but mostly indoors, even though there is    some body rust. The
car was not running when I got it, the head is off the engine and the brakes
felt mushy, so did the clutch. The first estimate was as follows.
 R&R Rebuild Brake Master       2.0 hrs
 Replace rear wheel cyls & shoes 2.0 hrs
 R&R Rebuild Clutch Master 1.5 hrs
 R&R Rebuild Clutch Slave 2.5 - 3.0 hrs
Replace all 4 brake hoses & steel clutch line 2.0 hrs
$55 per hour
Parts Brake MC Kit, Clutch MC kit, rear shoes rlined,clutch slave kit, 4
brake hoses,steel clutch line,rear wheel cyls,rear brake hw kit- approx $500
Also both rear rotoflex couplers are no good 6.0 hrs + couplers = $430.

I guess front brakes are ok. I come up with about $190 in parts, this is the
first time that I've taken one of my Triumphs to a professional to do this
kind of work, are these prices and hours about right, I think I could
rebuild a Master Cylinder in less than 2 hours. Is there a book they go by
for this, $1600 seems a little high for this. Am I wrong?

Jack

76 TR6
80 SPitfire
70 GT6