RE: Quote for repairs, a rip?

To: Jack Levy <jack@cocoinc.com>
Subject: RE: Quote for repairs, a rip?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:44:26 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Jack Levy wrote:

> ...I wouldn't even blink if I got this estimate form
> my Merc 380SL, cause I know how much the parts are....

Ever try to buy parts for the Merc, shopping around as we all seem to do
for our Triumphs? I'll bet there's some stuff (at least non-dealer-only
items) that can be had much cheaper away from the sign of the
three-pointed star.

> but I've done most of this on my Spit
> and it seems like 2.5 to 3 hours to rebuild a slave cylinder is kind of long
> specially if you don't have to crawl underneath to get to it, and have
> pently of space.

You might well be correct about that one. According to a 1961 Triumph
Herald flat-rate manual: "Clutch Slave Cylinder. Renew, adjust rod [yes,
earlier Heralds had some adjustment built into the clutch hydraulics] and
bleed" is assigned a maximum time of 1 hour. I say maximum in that the
book notes that the times quoted were the maximum allowed for warranty
work compensation. FWIW. Note that the time quoted to overhaul a clutch
M/C (no mention of overhaul of a slave cyl.) is 30 minutes.

So, 2.5-3 hours might be a bit long for the more accessible GT slave
cylinder, but I still wonder if the estimate might not present a "worst
case scenario"?

> There are less and less people that work on our beloved
> Triumphs everyday, I guess if you're the only one in town you can overcharge
> and you'll have enough business.

But even if you're the only one in town and you overcharge, you might no
longer have enough business. On the other hand, if you're the only one in
town and you're good, honest and fair, you'll probably work long hours
and be fairly well compensated without gouging your customers (whom you'd
like to see return, right?).

> Can I use anything from my 80 Spit parts
> car on the 70 Gt6?

Not a lot, really. Some of the front suspension -- wishbones upper and
lower, ball upper ball joints if they're salvageable; also various odds
and ends, but not a lot of major stuff.

As I said before, good luck, and I certainly hope the shop turns out to
be an excellent one! Let us know the outcome, please!

--Andy