Re: Re: Quote for repairs, a rip?

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, jack@cocoinc.com
Subject: Re: Re: Quote for repairs, a rip?
From: JLZ69TR6@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:57:16 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

In a message dated 3/22/99 10:02:23 PM, amace@unix2.nysed.gov wrote:

<<Jack, I don't happen to have a flat-rate manual for a GT6, but I do have
them for some earlier models of Triumphs. I'm sure Triumph, later
Leyland, had them for just about every model, and there probably were
other trade publishers of such information.

Most of the quotes you gave don't sound too bad to me. They might in fact
be a bit longer in time that what the flat-rate manual might say.
Consider that a flat-rate manual, much like a factory workshop manual, is
based pretty much on disassembly, repair/replacement and reassembly of a
brand-new vehicle. Neither necessarily takes into account 25 or more
years of road grime, moisture, salt, and all the other things that lead
to rusted fittings, bolts, nuts, bushings, etc.

I suspect that the rates are based on a flat-rate manual AND some years
of experience working on older cars prone to rust, etc. as above.
Although the 6 hours for the Roto-Flex couplings seems high, all it takes
is one bolt (of the 12 total) to snap off inside the axle to add untold
time to the job. Same with a weak steel brake line that snaps on the
attempt to unscrew it from the hose or wheel cylinder.

Of course, if they're a really top-flight shop, you might be pleasantly
surprised, once the job is complete, to find that some jobs didn't take
as long as originally estimated and that your lower-than-expected total
bill reflects this.

One other factor: it is likely that this shop will commit to completing
the job in a certain length of time, whereas you or I could spend the
next several weeks working on bits as we felt like it -- or not!

Good luck, and I certainly hope the shop turns out to be an excellent one!

--Andy

Jack I'd have to agree with Andy.  "Book" time is based on vehicles 5 years
old or newer, rusted bolts, frozen bearings can add much time to a job. If the
shop is good they are just covering themselves with the time, hey it may take
longer.  Remember it is just an estimate.
Personally, when it comes to brakes, we don't do rebuilds, you get new that's
it.  There is too much at risk when rebuilding brake master cylinders.
You are bringing (hopefully) your car to a professional, so treat them as one.
Good luck,
Regards
Jim Holewka