Re: Solid State Fuel Pump

To: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Subject: Re: Solid State Fuel Pump
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 00:57:20 -0600
Cc: TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Gary & Priscilla Klein wrote:

> Fellow Scions,
>
> >From time to time, the subject of electric fuel pumps for our LBC's has

> I was wondering whether anyone who's made the conversion to one of these
> units could comment on their experience wrt noise.  I've been thinking
> about making the conversion on my car but would like to hear from list
> members first before proceeding.

I have one on my VW bus (the one in which I installed a Lancia twin-cam
with two 40DCOEs), and did so mostly because of convenience (the
original Lancia from which the engine came had a more expensive electric
fuel pump).

I can attest to the noise. It is considerable, although not so bad as
the old MG dual-point fuel pumps. The noise can be reduced by putting a
fuel pressure regulator on the output side, with the regulator adjusted
to the high end of the allowable pressure applied to the float valves.
That tends to dampen the noise somewhat. Still, they do make a racket,
especially when just starting, until the pressure builds. After that,
the noise is reduced a bit.

On the plus side, the so-called solid state pumps (they are not truly
solid-state, but rather are solenoid-operated) are quite reliable. The
one I have in the bus is now thirteen years old, and has only failed to
operate when completely submerged in water, and started up again when
the water subsided--the latter problem may be due more to the electrical
connections to the pump than to the pump itself.

Cheers.