Re: union-jack

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: union-jack
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 10:32:17 -0400
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
> Listers, why is the Brit flag called a = Union-Jack =, I had this asked of
> me this a.m. and had no answer, but, sure would like to know.  "FT"

Definition: Jack

10. (Naut.) (a) A flag, containing only the union, without the fly, usually
hoisted on a jack staff at the bowsprit cap; -- called also union jack. The
American jack is a small blue flag, with a star for each State. (b) A bar of
iron athwart ships at a topgallant masthead, to support a royal mast, and
give spread to the royal shrouds; -- called also jack crosstree. --R. H.
Dana, Jr.

Definition: Union Jack

union jack n : national flag of the United Kingdom; a composite of Saint
George's Cross (England) and Saint Andrew's Cross (Scotland) and Saint
Patrick's Cross (Ireland) [syn: Union Jack, Union flag]

(images: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9945/flags.html )

Act of Union (Eng. Hist.), the act by which Scotland was united to England,
or by which the two kingdoms were incorporated into one, in 1707.

Got it?  :-)

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu
1974 Triumph TR6 the MGC ass kicker