Re: union-jack

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: union-jack
From: "John T. Nichols" <jtnichols@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 20:20:08 -0400
The ensign or flag of the Royal Navy and of the Merchant Marine has the
Union Flag as its canton, i.e., in the upper left corner of the flag
(the canton is called the union in the Stars and Stripes just to confuse
matters still more). When flown as a jack the fly part of the flag is
not used and only the canton, in this case the Union Flag, is flown. In
other words, the Union Flag is used as the Union Jack by the Royal Navy
and as the canton of the Navy and Merchant Marine ensign. Calling the
Union Flag the Union Jack is technically correct because of this and
widely used.

By the by, what we Americans think of as the Confederate Battle Flag is
also the Confederate Naval Jack since it forms the canton in both the
Second (The Stainless Banner) National Flag and the Third National Flag
of the Confederacy. The original Battle Flag of the Army of Northern
Virginia was square rather than rectangular but in the West it was
changed to a rectangle by units in the Army of Tennessee and as such was
incorporated into the national flags.

Vexillogically yours,

John T. Nichols
'58 TR3A TS32093L 'O'