Re: flickering AMP gauge needle on TR250

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: flickering AMP gauge needle on TR250
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:13:20 -0400
Micheal

That is a possibility, but I would have expected more rapid oscilations
from an A/C source:  the swing and ign. light pulse is really quite slow,
about once every second or so (the timing appeared to be so similar to that
of the flasher unit that I thought it was that - but no such luck! this
happens with the indicator off).

Any ideas of doing a more thorough check of the diode pack?  I had the
alternator checked at Autozone, but the person testing it really wasn't
able to do more than "Yup, it's charging .... who's next..."

To wrap this yup: I did get one other suggestion from a similarly aflicted
Sixer, "leave it alone since it's never caused a problem on his car."  I
must admit that suggestion gets close to the "have a beer and think about
it for while" approach I've been taking on this (thanks John, in Flintstone
GA!).

Tony Gordon

>I'd probably catch a lot of flak from posting this on the list,
>especially from the more knowledgeable, but it really sounds like a diode
>going bad--in some circumstances, this can feed a-c back into the
regulator >and the charging circuit, causing the sort of oscillations you
describe.