Re: Copper oil gauge line?

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Copper oil gauge line?
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:40:55 -0700
I replaced mine with copper tubing. I bought it at Autozone. The kit came with
fittings that matched my 'original I think' brass fittings. It also came with
other fittings as well. I used the new fittings even though they matched my old
ones exactly. I did the loop d loop just before connecting to the engine on the
advice of listers. With the extra length I was able to run the tubing so as to
make it look neater. I'll get the maker and part number if you want it. It
costs about $13. Personally I think although the teflon may hold out longer
than the plastic, it is more subject to oxidation and breakdown than copper. I
just replaced my plastic one after an involuntary oil change ;-). It 'to the
best of my knowledge' lasted 25 years so really any replacement is better than
none. My engine started knocking and I looked at the oil guage and 0 psi so I
killed the motor and pulled over. The old plastic line had a break in it. It
had oil all over the left side of the engine compartment but I consider myself
lucky(you can imagine the mess it would make on a break under the dash with
75psi).

Once again, just replace it, a new one(plastic, copper, teflon, whatever) is
better than risking the involuntary oil change and roadside happiness.

;-)