Re: Copper oil gauge line?

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: Copper oil gauge line?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:20:06 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I recommend using SS/Teflon line instead of copper tubing. This is what I
> have used on my TR6 and the results are great so far. I no longer fear
> losing all my oil due to a plastic line breaking unexpectedly. (Of course my
> original lasted ~20 years so who knows, maybe this is overkill --
> nonetheless it was neat to make up the SS/Teflon line myself).
>
> Benefits of SS/Teflon:
> - more durable than original plastic
> - copper tubing is solid -- even with the coils, what would you do when you
> want to partially remove the dash into the "service" position (Bentley's
> words, not mine)
> - the fittings are standard (once you get the BSP one -- see below) and
> reusable, no brazing is required
> - definitely looks cool, just like SS/Teflon brake lines and clutch lines!

>From experience with the service department of a manufacturer, there is
one profound downside to the lines--they are very subject to abrasion.
They have to be clipped and supported, and good grommets used wherever
they pass through panels. The problem is in the size of the wire used
for the braiding. It is so small that it easily cut in two by vibration,
if laying on a sharp enough surface, exposing fresh wires, and the
process continues until the braiding is gone in that area and the Teflon
is exposed, which is quite soft and is cut through almost immediately.

Cheers.