Re: Valve Spring/Key Removal

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Spring/Key Removal
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:45:13 -0400
Robert Van and Ann Cross wrote:

> Listers,
> This may sound like a rookie question by I need your assistance.  I've got a
> spare TR4 cylinder head that I want to rebuild and use.  I purchased the "C
> Type valve lifter & Spring Compressor" from  JC Whintey.  My problem is, I
> can't get the springs to compress in order to remove the spring key.  I
> think I'm using the tool correctly (jaws over the collar, ratchet
> handle/shaft placed against the valve head), but I'm having little success.
> When I squeeze the handle, the "C type" portion of the tool must be giving
> since the collar and springs aren't compressing.   What's the secret?
> Thanks in advance.
> Bob Van
> 1960 TR3A

Bob,

After so many years, the keepers tend to stick.  That's a good thing since you
don't
want them to bounce out too easily.  Put your valve spring compressor on the
valve and
tighten it until the 'C' bends slightly.  Cover the valve spring end of the
compressor
with a rag and strike the head of the valve/tool sharply with a rubber or
plastic
mallet.  Usually the valve retainer will give right away and the keepers will
be still
in place but now loose.  If one should be stubborn, give another crank on the
compressor, but watch out as usually the keepers tend to fly if cranked too
much.  The
rag should catch them, but wear safety goggles anyway.

Good luck!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars