RE: Valve Spring/Key Removal

To: britcars@powerbritish.com
Subject: RE: Valve Spring/Key Removal
From: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:09:29 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
There I go again - writing more from past experience than from what was
actually being talked about!

When I changed a busted exhaust valve a couple years ago on the TR6, I
refused to remove the head, and instead used a hand tool to compress the
spring (there being 2 on the later TR6 exhaust, thank goodness!). This I
borrowed from the local Jag/LBC garage, and operated with a faucet-like
tensioner once clamped on. To keep the valve from dropping down inside the
chamber, I removed the plug and inserted a 3/8 socket extension. To keep the
valve in place while I re-installed the collets (THAT's the name of those
funny little things!), I used a line of sewing thread tied around the notch
of the valve, and gained tension by tying it off to the hood latch, which
was then directly overhead. I used an extension magnet to help place the
collets in position; once they were in properly, I eased off on the spring
compressor until all was good as new. I then had to remove the sewing thread
with an x-acto knife, which I did completely. Any residual thread would
either burn up or come out in the next oil change anyhow. And all that
without the use of compressed air in the cylinder (but it was a great
argument to buy one, for a while!). Cheers, JD