"not sporty at all" ??? was TR4 Made by Honda?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, peterz@merak.com
Subject: "not sporty at all" ??? was TR4 Made by Honda?
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:36:12 EDT
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999
Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Wrote Subject: RE: TR4 Made By Honda?

Most Triumphs sold in
the world were not sporty at all but rather sedans (Heralds and Vitesses
come to mind, the 2xxx series saloons, and even a joint project with Honda
called the Acclaim).
*****************
Mr.Z'

I resemble that remark.
When did you last drive a Vitesse then ?

My Herald Convertible certainly was 'Sporting' if not an outright Sports Car
per se...
(especially when I tuned it with period tuning items = 100 bhp and 110 mph!)

And as for your saying that my Vitesse Convertible is not sporty at all ???
Do you realise what you are saying ???

1998cc 6-cylinder Vitesse Mk.2
power developed 104 bhp at 5,300 rpm
max torque 1,400 lb,in at 3,000 rpm
Weight (dry) 17.25 cwt.

Top speed 103mph

Acceleration:
Top Gear
30-50 mph in 7.5 secs
40-60 mph in 8.0 secs
50-70 mph in 8.5 secs
60-80 mph in 10.0 secs
Thro' gears
0-50 mph in 8.0 secs
0-60 mph in 11.0 secs
0-70 mph in 14.5 secs
0-80 mph in 20.0 secs

(Those of course are for the factory settings, as my own Vitesse now develops
approx 175 bhp,and I drive it in as thoroughly a 'sports' style as the law
allows!!!)

If I may quote from The Motor Oct 19, 1968

"It is now a genuine 100+ mph saloon with acceleration better than many
sports cars."
The new rear suspension, almost identical with that now used on the GT6+ make
it an extremely controllable car with much higher safe cornering speeds than
before and no drama if they are exceeded.
It also travels in a straight line at high speeds on bumpy roads and, because
the whole car is relatively light, it can be thrown about with a good deal of
abandon and very little effort by a driver who feels so inclined, I fact on a
winding alpine road it doesn't appear to be a great deal slower from point to
point than the new GT6+

With good reason, was the Vitesse 2 Litre (Mk.1) advertised as
"The two seater beater".

Even my friend, Ian Evans, Chairman of the TR Register told me how impressed
he was with the power and agility of my Vitesse.

I think what you were trying to say, was that in your opinion, the Triumph
Sedans and Sedan based cars are not sports cars, or sporty cars, and that the
others such as the TR range, the GT6 and the Spitfires are sports cars.
You appear to base this observation simply on their low-slung, curvy body
styles c/w the sedans somewhat more 'boxy' appearance.
Your perspective is in my opinion, somewhat narrow and blinkered, and you are
doing a grave injustice to the original designers, and everyone involved with
the cars, from those that assembled them, through those people who so
successfully raced and rallied the sedans, right up to the present day owners
and enthusiasts who treasure, restore, maintain, modify, and actually get out
there and drive these wonderful cars, be they sedans, sedan based
convertibles, or TR's and GT6's and Spitfires.
It matters not one jot!

"not sporty at all"

Darn cheek!!!

Léon