Re: HEAT

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: HEAT
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:01:50 GMT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Michael,

I would strongly recommend that you do something in "proper" category rather
than depend on the kerosene space heater type of arrangements.  I have tried a
lot of those things and the fumes are deadly if not enough to give you a
headache and make you tired and lose interest in what your doing.

How detached is the garage? What do you heat your house with? Last winter I bit
the bullet and installed a MODINE unit in my attached uninsulated garage and
workshop area.  It is a small one of the forced air "radiators" you see hanging
from the ceiling at home depot.  It uses circulating hot water from my hose oil
fired furnace.  Just another zone with a thermastat.

If I had a detached garage I would use one of those thru-wall gas, propane or
oil fired units that pipes the exhaust outside and has a blower inside.  Get
lots of BTUs or put some insulation in the walls. I have a unfinshed bonus room
over my garage and got some 6 mil plastic sheeting to seal the the ceiling and
stairway to keep the heat from venting right out the roof ridge of the bonus
room. I open the stairway cover when I leave the garage to allow for venting
any moisture.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4 CT16260L - Groton, MA
sanborn@net1plus.com